I Hear There're Rumors on the Internets

When used correctly the internet can be a force of good. Because of the endless information available with a well placed boolean operator, I have supplemented what I learned from my doctors and prepared myself for each step down this barren path. But it is also a treasure trove of half-truths, dangerous advice and mindless information. Anyone with web access can say what they want (case in point: this blog), and it is our job to shift through the pyrite.

Because I have a one track mind, the vast majority of my searches have been related to infertility. (And you thought I spent all that time google-imaging Viggo Mortensen!) I admit that I first took some comfort in the boards and TTC websites, but soon I was choking on all that baby dust. I was never much of a joiner, and it felt a tad insincere to be cyber-sending emoticons to total strangers who are going through a traumatic time - "sorry your beta isn't doubling! ;P". Thus I have mostly stuck to informational sites and approached the message boards with a what-can-I-learn-about-my-clinic/current-condition attitude and less of a let's-share-everything-related-to-the-ups-and-downs-of-this-cycle. I like my message boards like I like my chocolate - dark, bitter and salty. And let's face it, I would make a terrible cycle buddy.

So yesterday as I was searching for tips on how to get my backside comfortably numb for these PIO injections, I came across this gem. The site was loaded with "advice" for your IVF cycle. Here are a few of the highlights:

    • Don't talk to your partner too much about his role. This may cause him extra anxiety during an already stressful time and the extra stress can aggravate the performance anxiety that men suffer on the day of retrieval.
    • Keep social contacts to a minimum.

In the site's defense there were some very reasonable and sane recommendations, but I was skeptical when I saw the knit booties on the masthead. Really, don't talk to your partner about his role? As though his role is solely that of sperm donor. If that is his only job then he hasn't earned the title Partner, Associate maybe. And what is this about minimizing social contacts? Am I really too much of a raging hormonal mess to enjoy a dinner out with my nearest and dearest? No better I keep myself locked in a dripping dungeon before I terrorize innocent bystanders.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fancy Fetus

Candy-cane Stirrups

Baby Phat