The Ivory Tower of Fertility

We had our consult at Cornell last week. It is the ferrari to my clinic's toyota. Their was no comparison. For one, we saw the dr. at the scheduled time! (It is my belief that dr.'s offices are run by air traffic controllers and airline personnel.) I was shocked and nearly sold just on that. The waiting room also had the air of a well-appointed hotel lobby with a delightfully inviting bathroom. We found the dr to be both competent and personable. He was also very thorough. Thorough is reoccurring theme with Cornell - during the exam, he even listened to my breathing and gave me a breast exam. That marks the first time my breasts have been felt during this entire process. I wasn't quite prepared for that- buy a girl dinner first. The minute he walked into the room, I started sliding down the table and assuming the position. This has become a sort of Pavlovian response for me. Whenever someone in a white coat walks in, my legs go up. I am little nervous for my upcoming dentist appt!

Back to the consult: the dr. seemed confident that a low dose protocol would be right for me. I am reluctantly willing to do what ever it takes, but would only like to do the minimum of that. With that in mind, he also said he would be willing to put only two embryos in and possibly even one which I wholeheartedly and maybe somewhat naively support.

So far, so good. After the consult, we met with the IVF coordinator who gave us an overview of Cornell's process. She also scheduled us for a IVF class. (they offer a class - talk about thorough.)We then met with the billing dept who went over the costs and gave us info on how to work with our insurance. It was like a well-oiled, baby-making assembly line. Impressive.

So the moment of truth was upon us. I had an appt on Monday morning to start the IVF process at my current clinic, and until Friday afternoon, I had every intention of keeping it. But there I was, making an appt to have b/w and to take Cornell's ivf class on Tuesday. Did it make sense to pass up the opportunity to go to one of the best clinics in the country? Did I need a ferrari when a toyota could get me where I needed to go and would be less of a financial burden? We are fortunate enough to have the resources to cycle at Cornell so I didn't want to get too caught up with the cost comparisons. I labored over the decision the entire weekend. I knew we would end-up with Cornell but I still left a sense of loyalty to my dr. and was starting to feel like an infertile sell-out. I was trading my mom and pop for the brand name. Sure it was a big decision, but my talent for over thinking was at its zenith.

Monday morning I slept in. Tuesday morning I sold out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fancy Fetus

Like A Virgin

Candy-cane Stirrups