I.V.(F.) League Education

The first order of business at Cornell was an IVF teach class. It turns out you have to sit through a 2 hour seminar in order to undergo IVF at Cornell. Matt was the only man in there at the beginning, but eventually another husband showed up late and then blackberried/slept the rest of the time. I love my husband.

I did appreciate that Cornell takes the time to ensure that you fully understand the process. It was very empowering. The class was thorough (there is that theme again). At the end of the class, they gave us a cup that included all of the medications we would be using during our cycle and the nurse went over how to adminster each. We even took turns practicing the intramuscular progesterone injection (aka, butt shot) on a dummy. The first person got it in and then when she went to remove the syringe from the dummy's ass, the bottom part of the syringe came out and the needle stayed in the dummy. It was a little needed comic relief for us desparate participants.

I am still fighting with hope. Not everyone gets pregnant on their first try with IVF. I have read that you should go into your first cycle with the idea that it will be a learning experience that will help determine the most effective protocol. As my coworker aptly put it when I was telling her this: "education is expensive." Fingers crossed that I won't have to learn too much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fancy Fetus

Candy-cane Stirrups

Baby Phat