Chaos Reigns

A few nights ago, I supervised a music class kids for kids at work. I selfishly went in hoping it would not be a success so that I wouldn't feel guilty for not doing more because too many late nights makes me a cranky girl. But then the cute little kids started trickling in and I was almost as excited as they were. Everyone was attentive and enthusiastic as the group started. They went around and sang their favorite songs and took turns holding the guitar. It was adorable. That was the first seven minutes. For the next 53 minutes, all hell broke loose. It was like a switch was flipped and everything went horribly wrong as one kid crawled under a table and wailed for 20 minutes because I asked her very sweetly not to sit on the table anymore, another small kid started spitting at and shoving the other older kids who in turn wanted to beat him up. One 9 year old insisted on talking like a baby and whining because he wanted a play with a laptop, another girl wanted to read and started throwing books when I told her Wednesday was reading group. 3 small boys kept climbing on the music teacher and each other, and one lone child sat attentive and smiling, just happy to be there. At about 30 minutes in, I expected the fox from AntiChrist to appear in the room and declare "chaos reigns".

I left with a splitting headache and soul-shaking fear of motherhood. I know I won't be dealing with 8 kids aged 4-9, and I suppose it is different with your own, but good lord if I didn't feel completely unhinged when it was over.

A day later the music teacher emailed me saying he can't wait to come back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fancy Fetus

Candy-cane Stirrups

Baby Phat