When it Rains it Pours...In my Kitchen

A few weeks ago, we had a visit from our downstairs neighbor informing us that we were raining on her apartment - the bathroom to be specific. We had no obvious water leaks, and it was soon concluded that whenever we flushed the toilet, let's just say, they felt the effects. The super said he would need to pull up our toilet to fix a broken pipe, leaving us without a toilet until the job was complete. In the meantime, the neighbor kindly offered to have us call anytime we needed to flush, but there was no way I could consciously flush my toilet knowing it caused a pee storm below me. So I played the pregnant card and the super let us in on a secret bathroom on the 6th floor, a very dirty, very icky secret toilet that I was nevertheless thrilled to have at my pregnant bladders disposal. Within a day, the problem was resolved.

So after the bubble, bubble toilet trouble, we jump ahead two weeks. This past Wednesday, I noticed a wet spot on my ceiling in the kitchen. I visited the upstairs neighbor who was having their floors refinished and was told that some water spilled but everything was fixed. The spot didn't spread or get worse. We still informed the super who agreed to look into it. Yesterday, while putting away groceries, I noticed a new spot and this once was dripping and spreading rapidly. The super was over two hours away and no one was upstairs. We gathered buckets and watched helplessly as one drip turned in to 15 and the ceiling started to bubble and warp. It was now a steady drizzle. After what seemed like 7 hours, the super showed up and literally broke into the upstairs apt via our fire escape and was able to turn off the water which dried-up the gathering storm. The ceiling is peeling, but at least we were there to do damage control.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fancy Fetus

Baby Phat

Candy-cane Stirrups